How to sell on Gumtree
Today I want to get away from auction sites, and want to tell you about sites such as Gumtree, Craigslist or the many other online classified sites out there.
What is an online classified site? Well in simple terms you know those free papers you get filled with adverts at the back that people are selling? Or those newspapers that are filled with small classified from start to finish ? Well you are on the right lines.
Today I want to talk about Gumtree, and how to sell on Gumtree. Gumtree is like those newspapers, but it is all done online and instead of it being in just your local paper and thus your small local advert. Your advert could and will appear worldwide, and in 9 cases out of 10 your advert will be free.
1) Although this is online you need to have your normal offline classified advert head on. Include both an email address and also a phone number in each each of your Gumtree adverts. You want to make it as easy as possible for people to contact you.
2) As with eBay’s Best Offer, (This is one of the best products eBay has), be ready to accept an offer on an item you are selling. Before you list have a clear picture in your mind as to what you will accept as the base price.
3) The next thing you need to look at when you want to sell on Gumtree is your description. You need to write it with enough information to make people want it. Write the description clearly. Also write it as if you were talking to a friend over a cup of coffee and telling them about this cool item you want to sell.
4) Again as with eBay and Amazon be honest with people. If there are any faults with the item, tell your buyers on Gumtree.
5) Now this may sound silly, but believe me the times I have forgotten and also the people I know who sell a lot on Gumtree and other sites, as soon as your item sells, remove the item from your listings. This saves you loads of hassle and grief when a few hours later you get another call for the item, you have just sold.
6) Be open with delivery and pick-up of the item. The person has just bought an item from you and spent good money with you, so if they say hey I work until 8pm can I pick it up at 8.30pm be prepared to say yes. Or offer weekends. Again think how you would like to be treated. Offer to deliver it to their work place if that is better.
One thing you need to remember is with Gumtree and sites like craigslist is that they are local sites. So you just list under Birmingham for example (as long as you live in Birmingham) and your buyers should all be local.
7) If you live in an area where you could be covered by more than one area, list in them all that are near to you.
8) Look for other sites such as Gumtree to sell on, the more the better.
9) Oh yes, rinse and repeat.
10) Add this new platform into your selling plan and soon, you shall be making some extra money from a new source of buyers who are hungry for your products.
I hope this mini class on how to sell on Gumtree has helped you get a foot in the exciting world and the profits that can be made with online classified adverts.
How to sell on Gumtree was bought to you by Andrew Milburn and My Auction Empires